Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Freecycle
Hey everybody! Have you ever heard of Freecycle? If you haven't you need to get on the bandwagon! My friend Sabrina told me about it and it is such a cool idea.
As they state on their website, found here: The Freecycle Network is made up of 4,975 groups with 8,691,807 members around the world. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills.
Now I'm not going to lie and pretend like I am the most green person you'll ever meet. I've been known to throw away a soda can or two and I use disposable diapers. BUT I like the idea of this site. Plus I like free things.
So how does it work? Well, first you find your local area on their site and then you join that yahoo group.On the site, you can offer any of your old stuff that you don't want or you look for stuff that other people are giving away that you might want. When someone who offers something posts something that somebody else is interested in, emails are exchanged between the two and a time is arranged for the owner to put their item on their front porch for pickup. Easy-schmeesy. The receiver sends a thank-you note after pick up and the landfill is one item lighter than it might have been otherwise.
As with any freebee site, there are hits and misses. I've only picked up one item so far and I was happy with it (a berber area rug in nice condition) but I know that it doesn't always work out so well. I figure, though, that it's worth it to get some nice free things even if sometimes you get something in worse condition than you were expecting. I mean, it's FREE.
So go check it out! Just click here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My mom did this for a while, but all she ever got was junk, maybe it depends on the area you live?
ReplyDelete